Friday 3 April 2009

The end of the beginning.....

Mobility
Ankles, Knees, Hips, Shoulders and Wrists

Warm Up - Shoulder Dislocates / Achilles Stretches / Quad Stretches / Squat Stretches / Shoulder & Wrist Stretch 2 x 10

Triple extension / Snatch High Pulls / Snatches /Power Cleans / Split Jerks 3 x 3

Session A
Hang Power Snatches - 5 sets 5 reps - 40kgs
Overhead Squat - 5 sets 3 reps - 20kgs (tried snatch balances and squat snatches)
Hang Pull for Clean - 5 sets 5 reps - 50kgs
Hang Power Cleans - 5 sets 5 reps - 50kgs
Jerk from Racks - 5 sets 3 reps - 50kgs
Back Squat - 3 sets 5 reps - 60kgs
Med ball Slams - 2 sets of 12
Hanging Leg Raises - 1 set of 12

Stretches

Comments: Good session this. Got the weights just right on most exercises and it was only in the last set that I started to fade a bit - exception here was the back squat. I got great depth on them and could have thrown more weight on it. No matter, I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunity to squat in the future. I was trying to bounce them back out of the hole, going down controlled and then speeding up for the last few inches. It certainly made them easier, but apparently you need to be careful to keep the hips pulled in. I've found that to be my sticking point so far, possibly some isometric stuff in the future might help.

My OHSs were a lot deeper today and Maurice wanted me to try the old snatch balances. All I can say is that I need to practice. I decided to sneak in a couple of squat snatches though while his back was turned. Far from a thing of beauty, but not too bad and a lot better than I thought they'd be.

Time to change it up now. From what I could get out of Maurice there will be four sessions but still only training 3 times a week. He has done this so that if there is a particular session I hate then it will always fall on a different day - so I won't end up hating Wednesdays for example. It seems that it will be snatch & squat or clean & squat days working up to heavy singles with a few differing assistance exercises on different days. Pretty standard oly training session from what I've seen from other training programs. I am SO looking forward to Monday now!!

2 comments:

  1. I very impressed with 5x5@40 hang power snatches. That's great progress for such a short time.

    I also agree that you will be back squatting a lot heavier in the near future. I love the program Maurice has you on and I'm sure you start looking forward to all of the sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maurice seems to know what he's doing as evidenced by your rapid progress thus far. Congratulations on graduating to the next level.

    ReplyDelete