Sunday 3 May 2009

Saturday with the No-Necks


Maurice and I headed down to Garvagh on saturday to watch the deadlifting and what a thoroughly enjoyable exprience it was too. There were more entrants, audience, noise and energy than I expected. It was very well run as well but the only downside was that often there were 2 or 3 weight categories lifting at the same time. This meant that you didn't know who was in the lead or what each lift meant in terms of the competition. In fact I had to go to here today to make sense of what happened overall.

I had a special interest in two things here: what weight category would be lifting my best of 162.5kgs, and what would the guys my weight be lifting. I didn't have to wait long for the answer to my first question as the 69kgs boys broke through it and with the best of them lifting 190kgs!! In fact there were a couple of schoolboys who were close and the following 2 characters beat it:


Trevor Harvey weighed in at 66.5kgs with a 165kgs aged 67. He said to me later that he thought he had 170kgs in him but he was playing safe. He'd probably gotten another 2.5kgs by just taking off his jewellery!!


This is Gina Quin who took a look at my form and set me off on my strength odyssey a couple of months back. Gina weighed in at 76.3kgs and lifted 165kgs. A new ladies N Ireland record.

There were some good lifts on the day - Brain Irwin 350kgs at 144kgs; Geoff Faris (below) 320kgs at 102kgs. But lift of the day I thought was Randell "Rambo" Crookes 292.5kgs (N.I Record) at 88.6kgs. I got it on video but it is really poor quality and no sound. So there was my answer - I either need to drop 20kgs and improve by 30kgs or drop a few kgs and find 130kgs from somewhere. Hmmmm - this may take sometime!!

No comments:

Post a Comment