Saturday 30 May 2009

My First Meet

Had a really good day today. Lifting was bye-the-bye really and it was good just to be around people who are interested in the same thing as you. I didn't get nervous, I didn't get too bothered about wearing the most ridiculous leotard in the world, infact I'd say that my mind was as clear as it ever has been when it comes to lifting.

It went as follows:

Snatch
1st Attempt: 48kgs - good
2nd Attempt: 52kgs - good
3rd Attempt: 55kgs - missed

C&J
1st Attempt: 65kgs - missed
2nd Attempt: 65kgs - good
3rd Attempt: 68kgs - good

I didn't get a great warm up and I was really caught napping when it came to the C&Js but I guess thats the nature of the beast. I'd say that most people would hit their best lifts in a training environment. I put the 55kgs too far in front of me, but got very close to my PR on the day so no complaints here.

I had no warm up for the C&J and went in cold for it. I thought it was a good lift anyway but apparently there was a little press out. I nailed it 2nd time around easy enough, but my jerk is weak so I only went for 68kgs....with hindsight I think I was too conservative. Missing the first one really did me no favours in this respect. I got a lot of encouragement from the other guys and told to really "punch" up in the jerk. I took this to heart and the weight flew up.

All in all, I had an enjoyable day and a target now to shatter at my next attempt. I totalled 3kgs more than Maurice, so it was good not to have to him crowing all the way home :)

Maurice is off on his holidays this week for a fortnight so I'll be left to my own devices. I might just alternate Snatches and C&Js and finish off each day with KB swings. After seeing a pic of me in a green and white leotard its apparent there is some weight to shift now!! (Don't even ask to see the pic!!)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on completing your first meet. Scoring non-zero in each lift, with weights you can make 80% of the time should be the primary goal and you did this admirably. You will be blowing these numbers away especially now that you have gotten a good taste for competition.

    ReplyDelete